Manta Ray or Sting Ray

I have the pleasure of seeing Manta Rays and Stingrays in the water from time to time. I have always found them graceful and beautiful. Three occasions come to mind that will always stay with me. Once, when I was a little girl and we were boating at Key Biscayne, we were anchored in one of the large lagoons with a few other boats. A huge Manta Ray swept in and out of the lagoon looking like a giant, glorious shadow floating by our 19ft Chris Craft. It was one of those sights I will never forget, pure magic. Another time, my daughter and I were vacationing on Longboat Key and a smaller Manta Ray flew out of the water right where we were swimming. Right next to us...so close. A beautiful sight. And the third vivid memory is when we first moved to the 30A area, about 10 years ago. Bruce and I were walking along the shore and a whole school of Stingrays were swimming the same direction we were and at the same speed just next to us in the shallows of the water. It was like we were all taking a walk together. It was great fun. But last week when I saw one gliding through the surf, it occurred to me that I really didn't know the difference between the two kinds of rays and find that it is a good thing to know as they are very different. It seems the big Mantas do not sting while the smaller Stingrays have a barb that is venomous. Stingrays are not aggressive unless threatened and while they are curious, they usually stay away from disturbance which is why at certain times of the year you should shuffle your feet in the shallows.  I only did the "stingray shuffle" the first time someone told me about the stinger and thankfully, I have never stepped on one and for years now have forgotten about shuffling. To see a ray is a wonderful thing and if you watch the water you will be rewarded.

Comments

Popular Posts