Pieces of the sky.

Because I live here and get to go to the beach a lot, I tend to walk it more than sit and I have a bit of a ritual I go through when I get there. Approaching the beach access I anticipate the view I am about to see because I've learned you never know how it will look; seeing the shore from the top of the walkover is always a surprise. From the white sand to the blue-green gradients in the shallow water, back to the white of the usually two sandbars, to the marine blue of the deep water, to the transition to the sky, taking in the panorama is always awe-inspiring. Sometimes there is a deep red streak of current from a coastal dune lake that just opened up. You just never know. Once I get to the water's edge, I tend to narrow my focus for a good solid look south at the Gulf to locate the sandbars, then east toward the park and the sun coming up, then west toward the distant high rises of Destin. Because I go so early in the morning, the views can look very different. And no matter what time of day it is, if there are clouds, the clouds will often try to take center stage. The sky is big over the Gulf serving as a big canvas for the weather. Dark dramatic rain clouds, fluffy white delightful cotton balls, and everything in between can vie for attention. Some days it's an ominous scene from Bloodlines, sometimes almost too perfect like The Truman Show. A few days ago at Fort Panic, it was sheer pastel joy.

Looking South.

Cumulus?

Looking West toward Destin. Cumulonimbus?

Looking East toward PCB.

Looking up at the pelicans in V formation.

I am often baffled by humans but our magnificent Earth, and my little space on it, is full of wonder. 

Comments

  1. What time do you go down to the beach? You say early in the morning, but the sky is, as you say, a brilliant blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get down early enough to leave by 9:30 am. I will go as early as sun up. That's my favorite but it really depends on the season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts