Summer is upon us...

The vacation crowd is coming back. They leave the beach to us locals for a couple of weeks after they have enjoyed their regional spring breaks. The arrivals and departures are part of the ebb and flow here, as natural as the golden pink sunsets over the water. The chameleons and frogs seem happy about it; the ants and bees are busy; and the Gulf water is a beautiful shade of turquoise again after being churned up for some time.

The garden is, as always, interesting. I gave up on lettuce and planted soybeans and they are already busy trying to catch up to the tomato plants. Last year I had good luck with lettuce but this year not so good. I also threw in some yellow squash. The squash flower is beautiful so even if I don't get much in the way of fruit the aesthetics are to my taste.

Went horseback riding in the forest yesterday. Karen let me ride one of her Tennessee Walkers. It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. This area is versatile in terms of the outdoors with so many state parks to enjoy. Most people think of it for second homes but I think it's an ideal place for retirement too. I know I'm not leaving.

Comments

Popular Posts