Fessing Up

Because I go on and on to people about how I work in the garden, (and I do spend an inordinate amount of time out there), people get the mistaken impression that I am a real gardener. So today, I have to confess to the world that I like plants but gardener I am not. My garden is an odd conglomeration of what I think might look good at any given stop at a nursery (I do try to get natives but succumb to a beautiful exotic now and then) and the local weeds. It's all I can do to pull weeds because they might turn into something that looks even better than the store bought variety or even better than that, they might be something we can eat, (if someday, God forbid, Publix closes). I have no real idea about what I am doing as I stuff seeds into the dirt, endlessly watering or stand around staring at the plants that have happened to make it in spite of my efforts. All the gardening books people give me are skimmed through for what might agree with my idea of not really being scientific about it and although I listen earnestly to the advice the experts give, it rarely sinks in. I think I just like to play in the dirt. Just wanted to set the record straight about that.

Comments

Popular Posts