Frog in the sand


It's fun to encounter the baby version of almost any critter.  Sometimes they aren't great at hiding but following instinct or parental guidance, they try. They look as if they are hoping that if they stay very still maybe they won't be noticed. I am reminded of a baby porcupine my mother and I saw up in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was hiding under a park bench. You could see it was trying hard to avoid our gaze. But geez, it's hard to miss the magic of a baby porcupine pretending not to be there. We sat watching it from another bench for a bit, soaking in the cuteness. 

Today I accidentally uncovered a little frog in the sand, behind a piece of wood, up against the house. I startled him so he jumped. Just once but the jump caught my eye. In spite of giant, happy me standing there grinning at him, he did a pretty good job of staying very still. Without that jump, a predator probably would have only registered him as a little chunk of wood if at all. These days, if you are a human of a certain age, staying still and being quiet may also be a good idea when, right or wrong, you feel like you are in danger. Right? I guess time will tell but just in case, I'm doing that. Staying quiet and as much as I can (there is the occasional flurry of letters to elected officials), I hope, out of harm's way. 

Anyhow, I think today's encounter was with a baby Fowler's Toad. A pretty cute one. 

PS: I know it's the 4th of July but will not be going to the beach today because I didn't get out early enough and again, it's the 4th of July. Through the years, instinct and parental guidance lead me so see the wisdom of staying close to home during holidays.
Happy birthday US! Hope it's even happier next year.

Comments

Popular Posts