Beach bonfires in South Walton

I have lived in Florida most my life and here on 30A over 10 years so I have had the chance to do many beachy things. I've been to almost all the beach accesses, walked the parks and the state forest, eaten at almost all the restaurants, at least poked my head into almost all the stores, walked and rode on the bike path and neighborhoods and I can't say that I have had an unpleasant experience anywhere so when visitors ask me what to do here, it's hard to give bad advice. But after this weekend, a beach bonfire is something else that will now be high on my suggestion list to experience. Geez I hadn't been to a beach bonfire for years and this was the first time on the gulf coast and it was lovely. Getting a professional to set it up for you is the best way to go because there are permits involved and, well, it was just fun showing up with everything ready. We have some fine vendors in South Walton that will be happy to help you. They all have different levels of service and pricing to match. Livewell30A put this event together on Grayton Beach, in my opinion, one of the best beaches in the state...maybe the best. So we walk down to this circle of chairs surrounding a big beautiful fire, joining our Sunburst Beach Vacations group for the festivities. At first the fire itself is not the showcase.

The white sand, the golden light of the late afternoon, the beautiful water, the "young people" playing, the ritual of gathering, that is what sets the mood.  John, the bonfire organizer, had a nice spread of food for us to munch on while the food was simmering in the big pot.


We enjoyed beverages as we watched the sun set like a ball of fire into the gulf. Sunset is always a spectacular show in itself but as the sun was setting the big orange moon took the eastern stage and then settled into a pretty backdrop for nightfall, the moon rays sparkling on the water. Yep, excellent. After we ate the shrimp boil feast which included some kid friendly sides, we picked seats around the bonfire.

Contained in a metal firepit, the flames provided a warm, very friendly focal point. Evenings on the beach cool down and sitting around the fire was just right and I have to say, not having to do a bit of work for it was kind of nice. The sun, the moon, the water, the fire, the people the food, all good.

Make sure the firepit is not just a little one someone brought over from their back yard. The one Live Well had was really big and that makes a difference to a large group.

It's always good to shop around for pricing. It doesn't hurt to check out a few vendors. Some beach fire companies add things up a la carte, some have great package deals. I haven't personally been to one of their fires but I've met Clay from Burkes Beach Bonfires. His prices were very competitive and I would definitely give them a try one of these days. His number is 850-865-2623.

Special note to Eli: Thanks for the photos!



Comments

Popular Posts