Dogs on the Beach

Happy Gus

Ain’t life grand! When I see a dog coming towards me at the beach, for the most part, that’s the sentiment reflected in their eyes. There are a few exceptions of course but most of the dogs I run into are happy, cheerful and absolutely thrilled to be there. If they aren’t totally preoccupied with some interesting news they are reading about with their nose, almost all of them, will greet me like I am a long lost friend that they are so very, very happy to see again.
Pretty Roxy

Dogs I meet at the beach, with their soft, gentle eyes, make me smile and I tend to remember their names much longer than I remember their owner’s names. I’ve met Harlan, Dixie, Bebo, Otto, Sarah, Doosie, Bailey, Roxy, Riley, Gus…so many pink tongues, tails wagging, bright eyes shining. They are out there doing what comes naturally and they are really lucky because we people of Walton County, notoriously fond of our pets, make them welcome on the beach.
Girl Riley
There is room for them here and the beach is a fine place for them if they, like us, follow a few rules. Okay I know rather than wagging my tail my tendency is to wag my finger now and then about rules. I can’t help it, I believe in democracy. Walton County has specific rules about dogs on the beach but I would vote for enforcing two that work equally well for the humans… the two most important beach rules of all: don’t leave anything on the beach (no pooh, no toys, no cigarette butts, no trash, nothing foreign) and stay away from the vegetation precariously holding the sand dunes in place. If we humans were fastidious about these two rules and if we made sure our children and pets followed them, there would be peace in the world. Yep, peace in the world because our terra firma starts at the shore where we humans live and if we humans are safe and if we have adequate food, everything is good, right? Okay maybe peace in the world part is a little strong but vegetation is definitely the best defense against the erosive work of the tides; much more effective and a lot prettier than most manmade structures. But that’s another rule to investigate and cover in another blog. Today, I’ll concentrate on keeping dogs and people and people stuff out of the sea oats. There is an impolite name for finger wagging people like me.

Rotten Riley
A lot of our beach dogs don’t actually go on the beach. Our Riley doesn’t because he hasn’t an ounce of obedience in him but don’t feel sorry for him. He gets plenty of exercise and prefers a good walk in the State Forest.



Other infamous beach dogs like handsome Merlin is comfy on the walkover. He brought a house guest Izzy; a gorgeous little slip of a thing.


Yep, life is grand!

Comments

Popular Posts