Fishing Rules on the Beach

Here’s a good New Year resolution: “Sit Quietly and Smile.” Anyone know where I got that quote from? While it is a very therapeutic endeavor, to actually do it…to actually sit quietly and smile can be hard to accomplish for any length of time and if you are out and about, people might look at you suspiciously. But if you sit quietly and smile while watching a great blue heron fish for its breakfast you won’t look the least bit odd. And you might also be lucky enough to witness an osprey working the same spot.   

While the heron took a slow, careful approach to its task, the osprey took a confident, fast and very steep dive toward its target. Equally effective, both creatures caught their fish within minutes of each other. It was a great treat to observe; not a lot of debating involved in the natural world.

Bruce and I shore fish Blue Mountain Beach once in awhile. Well okay, we hang out with our friend Dave when he goes fishing and we are lucky to share in his bounty because he makes his own “sculpin jigs” (sells them at Yellow Fin in Seagrove Beach). Dave is really, really good at catchin’ fish.

This fall, a question that came up from visitors as I walked the beach for the TDC was about fishing licenses. I answered the question saying I thought one needed a license for everything but shore fishing. So writing this, I thought perhaps I should verify that response and it seems I was incorrect. Sometimes that happens. I always thought shore fishing was the one thing in the world you didn’t need a license for but you do. It doesn’t cost a cent, but you need a permit.  It seems all fishing requires a license.  Who knew?  The rules are different for residents and non-residents with residents (human residents that is), getting a bit of a break with an annual pass option. For now, as long as birds don’t use fishing poles, they don’t need to carry any paperwork but sadly I can imagine the day that is not the case.  

Shore fishing is very satisfying, not to mention cost-effective and relatively uncomplicated. Walking back to the beach access, I thought about how growing up in South Florida, I went fishing a lot. Well okay, I tangled the lines a lot and hooked myself more than I fished. My father was an avid fisherman and it was a big part of my life with him; my best family memories.  Now I’m content to watch or to take advantage of my fishing friends or to buy the fresh catch at our local fish market.  My dad would tell you the world is safer for that. I never picked up my father’s skills as an angler however I’m starting, however late, to understand the art of patience.
See you at the beach...

Comments

Popular Posts