Looking for a bull shark

I like to randomly stop and talk to people on the beach; to hear about what they saw, to hear about what someone else told them they saw. I'll hear about a manatee coming this way, a bull shark going that way, a school of dolphins close to shore, etc., etc. It is a kind of human news wire. Hearing of a large bull shark about 14' off the shore and coming this way, I kept my eyes peeled thinking maybe this time I'd see one. I hear about shark sitings all the time and some of them dramatic, like the time Peterson's dog Taffy was walking along shore and a shark beached itself, jaws snapping at sweet Taffy. She growled and snarled at it until it retreated into the surf. So brave! I have only seen a couple of small sharks near shore in all my years here. Just lucky I guess. Anyhow, I was diligently watchful, screening for something dark and large, slowly swimming in the turquoise waters.

Bruce was with me for this evening walk and simultaneously, a bright color color grabbed our attention on the white sand. Slowly and carefully so she wouldn't fly off we got closer, drawn to this lovely, living jewel. She stayed posing pretty as you please. We noticed several of the Monarch butterflies flying royally above us and resting on the white sand of the beach. What a pleasure. Not so many have come through this year it seems to me so I felt honored. Thinking that would be my special beach treat for the morning, we moved on. Who cares about a bull shark anyhow.

Happily, another show was about to begin. Just up the beach, birds of all sizes started to gather at a particular spot watching the water with great anticipation. A few people started to walk towards them to find out what these birds knew and we didn't. Then we saw the flashes of small fish and then the flashes of bigger fish and then the birds joined into the splashing frenzy. Diving, jumping, everybody was trying to get their fair share, or more, of whatever was smaller. It was a show we've all seen before but it was particularly lively this day, overly produced and very entertaining like a grand finale at a fireworks production. After that, it was time to turn back.

As we walked west, we watched people who had gathered to see the sun do it's evening drop into the Gulf of Mexico. A ritual people never seem to tire of. It's easy to picture Native Americans gathering here to do the very same thing before we newbies got here.


The next morning, I witnessed another glittery show of note, starring some of the characters from yesterday's evening performance. In the surf, nearly on the sand, the little bait fish were making a gentle, moving pattern of what can be accurately described as wonderful. These tiny creatures created art pure and simple. After a few moments of entertainment, they moved off together, leaving me in awe and inspired by their oneness. You never know what will happen at the beach, what you will see. I've always try to be one with it and it never disappoints.

I felt pretty darn satisfied with the start of this October day. So with the morning sun warming my back and my toes enjoying the sensation of the cool sand, I walked east ready for my bike ride home. Having the good fortune to keep my eyes on the water's edge, I was rewarded yet again. A large grey shadow was coming toward me, just beneath the surface of the water. Slowly, gliding by, a perfectly beautiful sting ray passed by moving east, peacefully and purposely. Another treat, a sort of encore of the beautiful show I got to witness this day at Blue Mountain Beach.

Since I still haven't seen the bull shark, I guess I'll have to go again tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts