The Power of Nature


It was a cold winter this year. We thought we would go a little nuts as we are used to sandals and mild weather. I worried about all the plants and wondered which ones would come back, you can only cover so many plants with sheets. Now, well into Spring, the drought tolerant, low-maintenance plants are coming back nicely. I can't say fast, but nicely. This delicate "showy primrose" I planted in 2008 is much better this year than last. The different tickseeds are doing well, the Black-eyed Susan and Purple Cone flower should give up some blooms pretty soon. The Stokes Aster are about to explode any minute.

The elephant in the room is the oil spill looming off our shores. I am confident that if the spill hits us or our neighbors we will get through it through sheer willpower and hard work. There are so many good people here anticipating possible problems and getting ready to act. There are bales of hay poised on the shoreline ready to be taken out to be used as a natural sponge, volunteers groups are being trained, booms being put up proactively in front of the dune lakes. My heart aches for the innocent creatures great and small out there, out of sight and out of reach. Their fate, as ours, is way out of my direct control. I intend to help wherever I can and then put my faith in the power of renewal and resurrection.

Comments

Popular Posts