Dolphins, boats and cool clear water

Bruce and I went to the beach this morning. He jumped in the water bobbing around the surf immediately. The conditions were excellent and I detected no imminent danger but perhaps because I am a mother, I tend to be a perpetual risk assessor. So before I relaxed I wanted to walk down to Draper Lake to make sure the reddish water along the shoreline was from the outflow of the dune lake (it was). We had walked to the east side of the lake outflow and on that side the water was it's normal stunning turquoise self. Seeing a yacht coming towards us I thought to try and get a photo of the yacht and a little shore bird that seemed to be waiting for it too. I shot a few stills and then started shooting a video of it passing and Bruce yells "look at the dolphin." I jump, startled at his alarm and happily watched as a number of dolphins jumped joyously up high out of the water as they played in the wake of the boat. It looked like they were having a party that was part aerobics and part religious exaltation. It's not unsual to see dolphin in the surf but it never ceases to amaze me when they jump up high in play. It made my day and even though I couldn't visually capture the moment I wanted to journal it.


After that experience, we walked back to our spot west of the outflow and enjoyed a swim where the reddish water from Draper mixed into the clear gulf water in a sort of pool between the sandbar. Very refreshing. We are planning to go back for the sunset.

Comments

Popular Posts